Programme Management Jobs at United Nations, Montreal, Canada
Position: Senior Programme Management Officer at the United Nations Environment Programme
United Nations Environment Programme is seeking prominent Senior Programme Management Officer to operate in Montreal, Canada. The position holder will support the implementation and smooth operation in the Convention on Biological Diversity, Implementation Support Division.
In particular, the Senior Programme Management Officer does the following duties
- Lead the work of the Secretariat on national biodiversity strategies and action plans (Article 6 of the Convention) and on national reporting (Article 26).
- Advancing coherent and efficient approaches and processes and promoting synergies with related multilateral environmental agreements.
- Guiding the analysis and communication of information derived from Parties’ responses for a range of users and purposes. Similarly, read the integration of scientific information, data, and indicators for the monitoring.
- Review and reporting on progress towards strategic objectives established under the Convention and other relevant intergovernmental processes by providing guidance to and engaging with scientific networks, partners and processes active in monitoring and scientific assessments relevant to biodiversity and sustainable development.
- Initiate, organize and facilitate the timely preparation of deliverables on monitoring.
- Again, review and reporting in the context of the Convention for meetings, expert processes, and events under the Convention or other relevant fora.
- Guide the further development of mechanisms for the review of the implementation of the Convention; represent the Secretariat in activities and events related to monitoring, review, and reporting.
- Similarly, guide the further development of mechanisms for the review of the implementation of the Convention.
- Assume the overall leadership of the Monitoring, Review and National Reporting unit and oversee. Also, be accountable for the planning and implementation of its work program and budget, reporting and evaluation
- Contribute to the overall management of the Secretariat; perform other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in social sciences, planning, law, economics, international relations, environmental or biological sciences, or natural resources. However, candidates with a bachelor degree and two years of additional work experience of two years can also apply.
- In addition to that, a minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in relevant fields of work. Preferably in national governments, international aid and development agencies, research institutions and/or non-governmental organizations.
- Fluency in oral and written English and knowledge of any other United Nations official language is plus.
- Strong management, organizational, leadership as well as communication skills.