Regional Programme Officer – Sub-Saharan Africa position is available in the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). IRENA is an inter-governmental organisation mandated with the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy. The incumbent will work under the overall guidance of Director of the Country Support and Partnerships and the immediate supervision of Head of Regions Unit.
- Coordinate the design and development of the framework for setting up and maintaining cooperation networks
- Identify and lead regional initiatives for promoting renewable energy deployment, inter-governmental forums and other programmes
- Lead the design and implementation of RRAs in the countries of Sub-Saharan Africa as well as facilitate the implementation of post-RRA support activities, upon request
- Likewise, lead effective implementation of the Renewable Energy Entrepreneurship Facility initiatives in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Ensure close links with the other divisions to identify synergy and interventions in line with priorities identified by countries
- Furthermore, keep abreast of trends, key topics and initiatives in renewable energy policy, finance and technology to contribute to the preparation of renewables readiness reports in the region
- Support the planning and coordination of Work Programme of the Directorate and contribute its successful implementation
Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in engineering, economics, energy, international relations or another relevant field or, a first university degree in combination with qualifying experience
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the energy sector, some at an international level
- experience in international cooperation and in dealing with multilateral agencies, networks and forums
- good knowledge of renewable energy technologies as well as related policy, regulatory, technical and institutional issues for its development.
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English and French. Knowledge of other languages spoken in Africa desirable.