Jobs at the World Bank, Washington, United States of America
Position: Research Analyst
Roles and responsibilities
- Research and maintain a strong grasp of pivotal areas in the energy sector, for example:i) trends in renewables; ii) gas-to-power economics; iii) competitive power market design; iv) market and regulatory aspects of emerging smart grid, distributed generation, and storage technologies; and v) power distribution utility regulation.
- Support technical and investment specialists in researching and writing cutting edge sector related reports which contribute to business development, execution, and portfolio management.
- Research, expand and update the benchmarking database for major power sub-sectors in emerging markets. Similarly, perform systematic mapping of countries and/or companies for potential IFC engagement in various energy sub-sectors.
- Use the database to help industry specialists and investment teams screen pipeline projects at an early stage to gauge feasibility in terms of project cost, utilization, tariff pricing, and development impact. Also, utilize IFC internal systems to generate pipeline, portfolio, and other project related information.
- Furthermore, work on development and update of lessons learned database, technical handbooks, and other knowledge management materials.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree with a specialization in economics, statistics, energy, or environmental studies; Masters is a plus. In addition to that, experience in a research-oriented role (2+ years) with a proven track record of publishing reports and analysis would be a plus, ideally in the energy sector;
- Experience writing high-level briefs on sector trends and ‘deep dive’ reports. Also, sector experience in conventional power, renewable energy, and/or energy-focused technology is a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Similarly, financial literacy including an understanding of key balance sheet, cash flow as well as valuation ratios for power sector companies.
- Able to work well in multicultural teams and across boundaries. Also, demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Strong client service orientation with an openness to feedback and new ideas;
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint; experience with statistical applications such as STATA is a plus;
- Excellent presentation as well as writing skills.
- Fluent in English. In addition to that, additional knowledge of another language will be a plus.