Research Job at United Nations, Santiago, Chile
Position: Research Assistant at United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
The position holder will perform the following duties
- Assists in identifying and monitoring the substantive aspects of the work of the Unit in various regions/countries.
- Selects and evaluates a variety of documents, summarizes pertinent material, collects and analyzes data and prepares background materials for assessment papers, studies, briefs, and reports.
- Systematically follows through and retrieves, highlights and compiles information from a wide variety of information sources, especially from population census; prepares input for the electronic database and the internet and co-operate with research institutes and organizations in the collection of data.
- Assembles and examines original statistical material to ensure accuracy, clarity, and validity; makes appropriate adjustments. Similarly, designs prepare and maintain a country profile for each country assigned to the Unit.
- Prepares a variety of reports, presentations, tables, lists, charts, data sets, and/or diagrams for information in order to facilitate the in-depth analysis of the retrieved information by the supervisor and other users.
- Participates in the substantive and policy discussions of the Unit, and in the technical assistance given to countries related to processing population census and other sources
- Maintains and expands contacts with other departments in the Secretariat, as well as the UN agencies and programs and other organizations relevant to the region, and co-ordinate the input of other departments in the collection of data for assignments received.
- Prepares, maintains and updates files (electronic and paper) and internal databases; designs and generates a variety of periodic and ad hoc reports, statistical tables, charts, graphs, and other background materials/notes to facilitate inspection and other reviews.
- Drafts program/project summaries, co-ordinates review and clearance process. Also, co-ordinates with the editor, translation services, etc., on finalization and publication of reports in multiple languages.
•Attends a variety of meetings to follow discussions, takes notes and prepares summary reports, notes for the file, correspondence, etc.
- Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff and to countries in processing population data.
- Furthermore, performs other related work as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent is necessary. However, a Bachelor’s degree in Social Science is equivalent.
- Seven years of experience in collecting and researching data across various areas of social and economic development or related area.
- In addition to that, at least seven years of experience related to population data and to processing censuses databases are required.
- Advanced knowledge of Spanish along with intermediate knowledge of English is necessary for the position.
- Furthermore, experience in the use of REDATAM is desirable.