Research jobs at Forcier Consulting
Position Title: Research Officer
Forcier Consulting is the response group to the overwhelming demand for data, research, and information in some of the most challenging environments in Africa. It aims to produce reliable and high-quality research in these complex settings. They also make long-term investments in building the capacity of national staff to serve as researchers and consultants. The organization has succeeded in more than 650 research projects to date across 39 countries worldwide.
- Implement research projects from A to Z, including research & tool design, budget formulation, researcher training, logistical preparation, fieldwork management, quality control, data cleaning, data analysis, and report-writing.
- Conduct literature reviews, draft concept notes and inception reports and gather relevant background information as necessary. Also, create quantitative and qualitative data collection tools for projects, and script in digital data collection platforms.
- Actively engage with all research staff – core and temporary – in an effort to share knowledge and better understand skillsets in reference to project needs.
- Oversee enumerators and coordinators in the field during the implementation of research projects.
- Ensure that projects are completed on-time and within budget as well as provide quality control during fieldwork.
- Conduct data cleaning and rigorous analysis, and provide written reports or other deliverables for clients.
- Develop relationships with clients and partners including government bodies, donors, UN agencies, NGOs, private sector enterprises and civil society associations – and identify potential new projects.
- Similarly, attend in-country meetings with current and potential partners, including introductory meetings, and planning meetings throughout the lifecycle of projects.
- Learn and utilize best practices to deliver high-quality research to our partners and to enhance research programs and operational performance.
- Conduct regular and project-related training and capacity building exercises for research staff.
- Contribute to internal discussions on strategy, policy, and organizational issues. Similarly, contribute and adhere to all Forcier systems to ensure that project information is appropriately documented and secured.
- Furthermore, perform other tasks as agreed with the Research Manager or Head of Business Unit.
- M.A. degree (or equivalent) in political science, anthropology, international relations, international development, economics, statistics, or a related field. However, candidates with B.A. degree (or equivalent) with five years of work experience can also apply.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a requirement.
- Moreover, at least 1 semester of graduate-level coursework in statistics/economics.
- Working knowledge of statistical packages such as Stata, SPSS, or R, with a strong preference for applicants who are well versed in Stata.
- Excellent knowledge of Office package, including good skills in Excel.
- Eagerness to learn and be explore into new areas, and the ability to learn from mistakes.
- Ability to work independently in a stressful environment with minimal supervision. Similarly, the ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Creativity and an ability to think outside the box to conceptualize projects and implementation strategies
- Cultural sensitivity, curiosity, sense of humor and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Interest in the Middle East and Africa as well as flexibility and willingness to work in other countries as needed.