Senior Agriculture Technical Advisor is required in International Programs department of Lutheran World Relief (LWR) .
LWR seeks a Senior Agriculture Technical Advisor to provide leadership, management, strategic direction and technical assistance to ensure that LWR’s agriculture programs are designed and implemented consistently, with the highest quality, and in accordance with LWR’s agriculture strategy thus maximizing sustainable impact for smallholder farmers.
- provide intellectual leadership and strategic thinking around the cornerstones of the agriculture strategy and other emerging approaches/innovations in profitable farming systems
- Serve as the agriculture technical lead on high priority proposals to government and foundation donors.
- Write relevant ag. related sections of proposals
- Facilitate technical design workshops
- Lead the refinement and operationalization of LWR’s agriculture strategy
- Provide technical review and support of ongoing projects to ensure alignment with best practices and ag. strategy
- Provide technical content and review to LWR agriculture technical documents
- Coordinate global learning and innovation around the agriculture strategy’s cornerstones
- Represent LWR at local and global conferences, workshops and other fora
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master’s or Ph.D. in agriculture economics, agribusiness or economics.
- Ten (10) years of experience in international relief and development with at least ten (10) years of direct program implementation experience, in addition to technical support experience.
- At least three (3) years in a field-based position providing direct technical support or oversight to agriculture projects.
- Detailed understanding of donor trends in agriculture, in particular US government and large foundations.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of how gender, resilience, youth, technology and the environment influence the ability of smallholder agriculture to realize its full potential.
- Experience with gathering, analyzing, presenting and using evidence for design, strategy and decision making.
- Experience with markets systems and agriculture value chain assessment and analysis.
- Excellent writing skills, with demonstrated successful experience writing strong technical material for proposals, technical training materials, strategic think pieces, and/or technical strategies.
- Strong networking and public speaking skills, with an interest and willingness to take on external engagement and technical leadership roles on behalf of LWR.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word, as well as social media and other digital applications.
- Ability to speak Spanish and/or French highly desirable.
- Willingness to travel internationally, at least 25% of the time, sometimes to remote locations with few amenities.