Senior Reviser (Russian) position is available in the Russian Translation and Text-processing Section (RTTS), Conference Management Service (CMS), Division for Management (DM), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV). The post is within the Department for General Assembly and Conference Management. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Chief, RTTS.
- Revise translations dealing with subjects of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature, as well as very urgent texts, while meeting or exceeding required workload standards.
- Translate texts of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature, as well as very urgent texts, while meeting or exceeding required workload standards.
- Assist the Chief of Section in monitoring quality of in-house and contractual translations
- Make full use of standard computer-assisted-translation (CAT) tools and assist the Chief of Section
- In addition, participate in drafting and consistency groups established for negotiated texts.
- Counsel and assist revisers and translators as required, whether in-house, off-site or working contractually.
- Direct the conduct of terminological research within RTTS
- Mentor and train junior language staff as well as new contractual translators and provide feedback on their work.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A first-level degree from a university or institution of equivalent status. Candidates must have passed the combined United Nations Competitive Language Examination for Translators/Précis-writers, Editors, Verbatim Reporters and Copy Preparers/Proofreaders/Production Editors in Russian or a relevant United Nations competitive language examination in Russian held before 2017.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in translation, précis-writing, editing, self-revision, verbatim reporting, copy preparing, proofreading or production editing
- Experience in the use of standard computer-assisted-translation (CAT) tools
- Likewise, eight years of experience working within a multilingual setting
- At least eight years of experience working within the United Nations or a similar international organization is highly desirable. Out of the afore-mentioned experience, a minimum of four years of revision experience is required.
- Legal, scientific/technical or economic expertise is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in Russian, which must be the incumbent’s main language.
- Candidates must also have excellent knowledge of English and of one other official United Nations language (preferably French or Spanish).
You can apply online for this post.