Application call for Senior Stress Counsellor at United Nations, New York. The deadline for application is 23rd September 2021.
The Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) is responsible for providing leadership, operational support and oversight of the United Nations security management system (UNSMS) globally. As a global leader in security risk management principles, UNDSS enables the safe and effective delivery of United Nations programmes and activities in the most complex and challenging environments, while maximizing precious resources. To this end, the work of the Department is aligned under a clear mission, to enable United Nations system programme activities through trusted security leadership and solutions.
This is a unique opportunity to join a diverse, dynamic and exciting organization gaining unique and valuable experience where security provides great value. Besides the opportunity to gain new skills and further advance security expertise, this position offers a fulfilling environment that gives you satisfaction by contributing directly or indirectly to peace and security, human rights, and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. Simply, all humanity will be benefiting from your work. Together, we can make the world a better place.
This position is located in the Critical Incident Stress Management Unit (CISMU), within the Division of Specialized Operational Support (DSOS) in the United Nations Department of Safety and Security. The CISMU is responsible for coordinating and managing programmes and actions relating to the prevention of, and response to, critical incident stress for United Nations personnel throughout the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS).
Within delegated authority, the Senior Critical Incident Stress Counsellor (Chief, CISMU) will be responsible for the following:
- Provide global leadership and oversight UN systemwide on the management of stress and critical incident stress (MSCIS); initiates research, conceives and designs strategies, approaches and policies on the MSCIS in coordination with relevant UN bodies and partners; advises UN leadership and managers on measures that prevent, mitigate or address the impact of stress and critical incident stress on UN personnel and/or that improve staff psychosocial wellbeing;
- Closely monitor factors which could lead to stress-related problems, with particular focus on stress related to critical incidents of the UN system; identifies and studies stress-related problems and emerging trends; identifies developments that have had a positive effect on reducing stress;
- Advocate for enhanced institutional responsiveness on issues related to the psychological wellbeing of UN system personnel;
- Direct inter-agency coordination regarding counsellor competencies, capacity building, standardized operating procedures and other matters related to critical incident stress;
- Maintain a roster of qualified international counsellors available for emergency deployment;
- Direct the provision of culturally-appropriate psychosocial support to all affected UN system personnel and their families to include issues related to gender;
- Maintain liaison with specialized agencies, Permanent Missions, government agencies, non-governmental organizations and inter-governmental organizations on all issues related to stress management;
- Plan, develop and supervise the implementation of stress management training programmes for UN system personnel;
- Develop a comprehensive UN critical incident stress management training programme;
- Supervise delivery of critical incident stress management training programmes; coordinate, plan and manage UN systemwide stress management programmes;
- Coordinate response to critical incidents UN systemwide;
- Participate in critical incident debriefing of UN system personnel;
- Ensure rapid response to all critical incidents, including death of staff under malicious circumstances, hostage taking and evacuations;
- Chair the inter-agency critical Incident Stress Management working Group (CISWG);
- Performs other duties as required.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!