Statistician Jobs at United Nations, Washington
The Statistician will perform the following duties in the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- Organizes, designs, plans and carries out the collection, evaluation, analysis, compilation and dissemination of social statistics, including on gender issues and time use by selecting methods of data collection, selecting and implementing methods for data checking and selecting and implementing appropriate methods for data processing for incorporation into databases.
- Contributes to the preparation of reports on social statistics, including on progress towards gender equality.
- Also, participates in the development or revision of standards related to social statistics including statistical concepts, definitions, and classifications by performing methodological research.
- Prepares draft technical documents for international, intergovernmental and expert group meetings and assists in drafting relevant reports.
- Organizes and participates in training workshops, seminars, working groups and expert meetings as a technical resource person. Similarly, guides, trains and supervises general service staff.
- Furthermore, performs other duties as assigned, including duties related to the implementation of the Division’s Global Gender Statistics Programme.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
- Advanced University degree in n statistics, mathematics, economics, sociology or related field. However, bachelor degree holders candidates will two years of additional qualifying work experience care also eligible.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of statistical data on social issues, including on gender equality.
- Experience on time use surveys is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. In addition, knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
This position is located in the Social and Gender Statistics Section (SGSS), Statistics Division (SD), Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA). The statistician reports to the Chief of the Section. The Statistics Division is committed to the advancement of the global statistical system. The Division compiles and disseminates global statistical information, develops standards and norms for statistical activities and supports countries’ efforts to strengthen their national statistical systems. Further information is available on the following website: https://unstats.un.org/