Strategic Programme Leader, Sustainable Agriculture Programme position available in Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). The Strategic Programme Leader (SPL) of the Sustainable Agriculture Programme works under the Deputy Director-General (Programmes). The incumbent ensures provision of technical and policy advice and also, promotes adaptation and resilience to climate change. Furthermore, s/he is responsible for formulation of policies, strategies and investments that promote holistic and cross-sectoral approaches for sustainable agriculture; implementation of policies and programmes that support the international governance mechanisms such as the 2030 Agenda and Paris Agreement.
- Provide leadership and vision for the Organization’s Sustainable Agriculture Strategic Programme, taking into consideration the five principles of sustainable food and agriculture
- Exercise overall management responsibility for the Programme’s work plan through management and delivery teams, exercise monitoring and reporting on the strategy implementation as well as the cost-effective use of financial and human resources
- Likewise, lead and/or support inter-agency and inter-institutional collaboration on analysis and development and provide appropriate guidance
- In addition, provide guidance and support to FAO Members, UN and specialized agencies, and other global, regional and national bodies
Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced university degree, preferably at the PhD level, in Agronomy and related Sciences
- Demonstrated professional competency and mastery of subject matters dealt with by the Programme, with a focus in cross-cutting work linking agriculture production (all sectors) to natural resources management and restoration and climate change issues;
- Similarly, proven intellectual, managerial and technical leadership of a high order in the relevant subject areas
- Experience with multilateral negotiations and advice to governments;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and a limited knowledge of one of the other two, or Arabic, Chinese or Russian;
- Moreover, ability to lead and work effectively with a diverse team of people in an international setting.
To apply, visit the FAO employment website at Jobs at FAO and complete the on-line application.