Sustainable Development Jobs at the UN, New York
Position: Senior Sustainable Development Officer at the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
The will do the following duties under the supervision of the Chief of the Integrated Policy Analysis Branch
- Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects on sustainable development and energy issues; directs subordinates in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; undertakes capacity building activities; identifies priorities and issues to be addressed; and proposes recommendations for action.
- Similarly, leads a range of policy-relevant analyses in relation to the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG 7) on energy including to analyse energy’s social, economic and environmental interlinkages with other Sustainable Development Goals, to identify emerging issues/opportunities including those related to climate change, transport, science, technology and innovation, and to prepare policy recommendations.
- Leads the preparation of various written outputs, on sustainable energy, aimed at connecting local evidence with global policy discourse, including background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, evidence-based analysis from filed-missions, and inputs to publications on sustainable development issues.
- Provides direct substantive thematic support to consultative and intergovernmental meetings, including, as required, the High-Level Political Forum, the UN Decade of Sustainable Energy for All 2014-2024, UNFCCC meetings, the annual Science, Technology and Innovation Forum, and other occasional meetings of a similar nature by offering strategic and technical inputs in collaboration with the multi-stakeholder SDG 7 Technical Advisory Group and other relevant partners.
- Provides direct substantive support to UN inter-agency coordination such as UN-Energy by offering strategic advice, giving technical guidance and assisting in developing consensus.
- Prepares speeches, outreach materials or presentations for senior staff. Also, makes presentations at various forums of intergovernmental, governmental, inter-agency, expert or multi-stakeholder nature.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.).
- Ensures preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.) on sustainable development issues.
- Mobilizes and organizes synergetic multi-stakeholder dialogues and partnerships aimed at leveraging energy’s interlinkages with other SDGs including climate actions in line with the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
- Also, ensures gender mainstreaming, including in legislation, policies or programmes.
- Represents, as requested, the Branch/Division at international, regional or national meetings on sustainable energy issues.
- Furthermore, performs other related duties as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
- Advanced University degree in sustainable development, energy, climate change, international relations, economics, public policy, public administration, finance, natural resources management, engineering, law, social sciences or related field. However, bachelor’s degree holders with two additional years of qualifying work experience can also apply.
- In addition to that, ten years of progressively responsible experience in analytical work, policy development, and formulation and implementation of sustainable energy programmes, of which at least five years must be at an international level.
- Experience in the substantive involvement in intergovernmental processes is required.
- fluency in oral and written English is required. In addition to that, knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.