Sustainable Development Jobs at UN (United Nations), New York
Position: Sustainable Development Officer at the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
The incumbent will do the following duties
- Develops databases and qualitative information on sustainable development, required for recurrent or ad-hoc assignments.
- Drafts inputs for technical papers and analytical studies on sustainable development issues.
- Also, formulate, identifies and analyses project proposals on sustainable development issues.
- Attends international, regional, and national meetings for consultations with colleagues in other institutions dealing with sustainable development issues.
- Assists in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, seminars, etc. on sustainable development issues.
- Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by senior staff on sustainable development issues. Also, prepare inputs for reports to High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development and other intergovernmental bodies, inter-agency or expert groups on issues relating to sustainable development.
- Follows intergovernmental meetings, prepares summary reports and provides substantive support, as needed.
- Participates in missions on sustainable development issues, usually as a member of a team.
- Organizes training seminars/ workshops for national experts addressing sustainable development issues.
- Monitors, backstops and assesses the implementation of capacity building projects in sustainable development.
- In addition to that, performs other duties as required, including administrative tasks.
- Furthermore, s/he will also prepare inputs for statements, talking points, briefing notes, etc. for senior officials on sustainable development issues and serves as note-taker.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
- Advanced university degree in sustainable development, economics, public policy, public administration, finance, natural resources management, engineering, law, social sciences or related field. However, bachelor degree holder candidates with an additional two years of qualifying work experience can also apply.
- In addition to that, at least five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, policy-oriented work in a broad range of sustainable development issues, with a focus on the Sustainable Development Goals on Water and Sanitation or Oceans, three years of which should be in an international setting.
- Similarly, experience with intergovernmental processes is necessary.
- Experience in organizing international conferences on Water and Sanitation or Ocean-related matters is desirable.
- For this post, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.