Technical jobs at FedEx, United States
Position: Senior Analyst-Operations Research
FedEx Corporation is an American multinational courier delivery services company with headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee. The name “FedEx” is a syllabic abbreviation of the name of the company’s original air division, Federal Express (now FedEx Express). The company is famous for its overnight shipping service and pioneering a system. The system could track packages and provide real-time updates on package location (to help in finding lost packages). However, now most other carrier services as well have this feature.
FedEx is seeking highly prominent Senior Analyst – Research Operations for formulating and applying sophisticated modeling and other advanced analytic methods using a computer to develop and interpret information that assists management with decision making, policy formulation, or other managerial functions.
In particular, the position holder will do the following duties
- Identify business opportunities or expand ideas obtained from management in order to conceptualize and define and model operational problems to assess feasibility and impact.
- Also, identify performance improvement opportunities via data analysis. Develop decision support tools to ensure most cost conscience, efficient use of company resources that support service objectives
- Develop concepts into business plans utilizing appropriate research techniques, methodologies, and experience and present them to senior management with a recommendation for implementation.
- Similarly, develop and implement data collection systems from primary and secondary sources and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and data quality.
- Identify, analyze, interpret and visualize trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Similarly, evaluate alternative systems or transportation networks employing financial, computer, geographic or operational models as appropriate.
- Research cutting edge technologies in support of the “best practices” in any transportation or network related question.
- Provide project support or individually design and develop models for testing, validation, and evaluation of strategic proposals.
- Utilize multi-media presentations and formal reports for presenting analyses to senior management.
- Furthermore, perform other duties as required.
- Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, Math/Statistics, or related quantitative discipline or Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years’ experience.
- In addition to that, three (3) years’ experience in engineering, statistics, forecasting, or data analysis.
- Programming skills and ability to learn new languages, including but not limited to JAVA, SQL, SAS
- Knowledge of relational database systems Oracle, DB2, and Teradata as well as knowledge of big data implementations (Hadoop), preferred.
- Strong computer skills (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, E-mail) with experience using statistical software and reporting interfaces, data mining tools, machine learning techniques, and data visualization.
- Analytical, problem solving, time management, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Good presentation, verbal as well as written communication skills.