Technical Jobs at WHO, Cairo, Egypt
Position: Technical Officer
This will be a fixed-term appointment for 24 months. In those 24 months, the Technical Officer will be doing the following jobs at the WHO office in Egypt
- Develop and manage the Substance Use concerned program of work.
- Periodically assess the regional situation of substance use and substance use disorders.
- Develop a strategic approach facilitating for the Member States to scale up prevention and treatment for substance use disorders.
- Provide technical advice to the Member States, as requested, in developing national strategies and action plans on reducing health consequences of substance use, and provision of quality services to people with substance use disorders.
- Plan, develop, implement and monitor building capacity activities at country and regional levels to respond to public health problems attributable to substance use and substance use disorders.
- Provide technical guidance to the Member States in the development of surveillance and monitoring systems for substance use.
- Similarly, must provide technical advice to civil society organizations and other entities, as appropriate, on the issues related to the reduction of the public health problems associated with substance use.
- Foster collaboration and partnerships with other UN agencies and EMRO programs and initiatives in the area of substance use and public health.
- Furthermore, draft and revise technical documents, briefing notes, meeting reports, information products and content of EMRO web-site related to work under the incumbent’s responsibility, as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
- Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology or Psychiatry from a recognized institution.
- At least 7 years of relevant, progressive experience combined at the national and international levels in the assessment, development, and implementation of policies, strategies and action plans for the prevention and treatment of substance abuse.
- Expert knowledge of International policy frameworks for the reduction of public health problems related to substance use.
- Similarly, knowledge of psychosocial and epidemiological aspects of alcohol and substance use and relevant policy responses.
- Demonstrated ability to provide expert advice on the development. Ability to assist in the implementation of policies and programs in the prevention and treatment of substance use disorders.
- Capable of making a plan and also conduct capacity-building activities in the area of substance use.
- Similarly, the ability to work effectively in the field, under constraints and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills as well as proposal and report