UN Job Vacancy in Africa
Position: Security Information Analyst at the United Nations Department of Safety and Security
- Advises and provides guidance to Security Advisers with regards to Regional and Country specific threats; prepares briefing materials such as periodic security threat information alerts, notices, warnings, and advisories on security threats for DSS senior management and UN Designated Officials; participates in development of procedures for security operations, contributing with preparation and review of security-related briefs for UN and other key decision-makers related to current/significant events in various areas.
- Contributes in preparation of security plans for a designated country, or geographic area by conducting regional and country-specific threat and risk assessments for the UN encompassing
- Analyses trends of security incidents affecting the organizations of the UN System.
- Identifies, through field research of threat actors, the operating environment of the UN in liaison with host governments’ security interlocutors.
- Develops security information requirements for the UN in a particular region. Similarly, s/he will develop security risk assessments, assisting DSS Security Advisers in the field.
- Develops strategic assessments on trends of security threats in the region for dissemination to relevant clients.
- Prepares early warning reports and indicators on security threats, as a planning tool for DSS Senior Management.
- Establishes and maintains a dialog with local authorities and international institutions such as Red Cross/Red Crescent for the coordination of efforts in the event of natural disasters.
- Establishes lines of communication with focal points of the Inter-Agency Security Management Network (IASMN) for coordination of security threat assessment requirements; liaises with the Organizations of the UN System and Member States on the development of security threat information; liaises with field missions’ host governments’ security interlocutors to inform on threat actors and the operating environment of the UN; communicate with relevant clients to disseminate processed information on strategic assessments on trends of security threats in related regions.
- Maintains continuing awareness of prevailing security conditions for region of coverage, developing technical knowledge and awareness of security threat environments, identifying probable threats by preparation of profiles of threat actors impacting the security environment in which the UN operates, and analyzing trends of security incidents affecting the United Nations, advising on potential impacts of threats on the relevant UN staff accordingly.
- Ensures availability of strategic security threat information system by conducting liaison visits (SSTILV) to make periodic checks to determine if a system is functioning properly, ensuring information management systems are functional and in compliance with established Security Analysis Process and Practice Standards.
- Prepares analytical reports on security incidents in both HQ and Field locations.
- Furthermore, s/he will perform other analytical and research assignments and tasks as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following requirements
- Master’s degree in political, military or international relations or related fields. However, bachelor degree holders with an additional two years of qualifying work experience can also apply for the post.
- In addition to that, the previous five years of experience in applied military, police, or political predictive analysis.
- Similarly, at least two years of international experience in a multilateral organization in the field of criminology or corporate security.
- Experience in the analysis of either security, crime, political, or military trends is desirable.
- Experience in the information or intelligence analysis, as well as previous experience in the preparation of analytical statistical reports, is desirable.
- For the post advertised, fluency in English and French is required. Furthermore, knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
Click here to see more job vacancies.