UN jobs in the Gambia
Position: Institutional Capacity Building Team Leader at the United Nations Office for Project Services
In addition to the reporting to the Project Manager, the position holder will perform the following qualifications
- Leads a team of one (1) National Lands Management Expert and three (3) National Municipal Management Experts.
- Responsible for planning and timely delivery of all activities under Output 4, including ensuring the work-package plan is integrated with overall project plans, interdependencies duly identified and planned for, and risks and issues are escalated and managed effectively.
- Conducts a Technical Assistance Needs Assessment of the 3 municipalities and the Ministry of Land and Regional Government using industry-standard tools, methodologies, and best practice. However, the needs assessment should include considerations of finance management, Tax Revenue, and Policy Analysis; and on tax collection mechanisms.
- Develops a Technical Assistance Action Plan (TAAP) within the available budget in response to the findings of the needs assessment.
- Establishes a rotational system (for placement of National Institutional Capacity Building team members) for National Experts as appropriate, to leverage the key competencies and needs across the three Municipalities in implementing the TAAP.
- Ensures the timely implementation of the TAAP within the quality expectations of the clients.
- Performance management of the TAAP including quarterly assessment of National Experts and beneficiaries to confirm institutionalization of knowledge transfer, as well as the effectiveness of instituted systems and processes.
- Define key performance indicators (KPIs) for monitoring the alignment of the urban planning process with the capacity development initiatives.
- Promotion of Good Governance principles of accountability, transparency, participation, non-discrimination and efficiency including linking these with the implementation of Municipal programs, adoption of local policies and/or regulations.
- Facilitating the provision of input to the Urban Plan consultant in the development of the Digital Master Plan and 5-year investment plan that is sustainable and inclusive.
- Furthermore, actively contributes to governance arrangements adopted by the project.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
- 5 years progressively responsible experience in the management, development and/or delivery of institutional capacity building and/or technical assistance to governments is required. In addition to that, demonstrated experience in Municipal and/or Land Management.
- Experience and Knowledge of municipal finance management is an asset. Similarly, experience and knowledge of urban and/or spatial planning is an asset.
- Experience leading a team of multi-disciplinary experts is desirable.
- Previous experience working with UN Agencies is an asset. Also, previous experience working in Africa is desirable.
- Knowledge of Sustainable Development and SDGs as well as the knowledge of Urban Infrastructure an asset.