UN Jobs in Jamaica
Position: Senior Information Management Assistant
The International Seabed Authority at Jamaica invites applicants to apply for the Senior Information Management Assistant. Basically, the position holder serves in the Office of Environmental Management and Mineral Resources (OEMMR) of the International Seabed Authority. In particular, the Senior Information Management Assistant will be responsible for the following duties through interactions with colleagues at OEMMR and other Offices of the Authority.
In addition to the reporting to Database Manager, the incumbent will be liable for following duties
- Maintain and augment the functionalities of the internal database and file management system.
- Write and maintain all records and documentation supporting the Authority’s data management strategy.
- Respond in person and/or virtually to the needs of internal and external clients experiencing issues related to data management.
- Provide technical assistance (e.g. providing on-site hands-on training of participants with regard to accessing and retrieving data from Deep Data, use of different functionalities of deep data, use of templates for data submission) relating to the use of data and information in convening ISA conferences and workshops relating to ISA database.
- Perform Extraction, Transformation and Loading (ETL) of data in accordance with ISA data management strategy. Also, perform regular and ad hoc data quality control checks ensuring completeness, accuracy and relevance of data received.
- Digitize information (hard copy documents, data contained in a variety of formats) into the ISA established format and standard established for the database.
- Execute daily checklist of routine maintenance tasks related to the data management system and its components; maintain detailed records for compliance monitoring.
- Create metadata in accordance with ISA data management strategy to appropriately catalog data. Also, be able to respond to requests for information and access to relevant files in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance with ISA database information security protocols.
- Perform database backup for electronic data management system in close coordination with the Office of Administrative Services (Communications and Information Technology team).
- Manage the landing page of the ISA database (DeepData website) in close coordination Office of Administrative Services (Communications and Information Technology team) and Communications Unit in the Executive Office of the Secretary-General.
- Perform archiving of obsolete data and ensure the optimization of data storage capacity as per ISA data and records management policies
- Effectively deliver a wide range of data administration tasks ensuring that database systems are kept up to date and accurate.
- Similarly, maintain an effective uptime of 99.99% for all database systems.
- The above work activities will be carried out in close consultation with the Database Manager and in coordination with other offices of the Authority on data-related matters.
- Furthermore, perform other duties as assigned by the Database Manager or Director of OEMMR.
- High School diploma or equivalent. However, a first-level university degree in information technology or a relevant field is desirable.
- In addition to that, a minimum ten years of progressively responsible experience in digital data entry, database administration, GIS or related area.
- Experience working with Microsoft SQL Server and geographic information systems (GIS) is necessary.
- Knowledge of FME Workbench, web programming, Microsoft Excel and PowerShell would be an asset.
- Furthermore, fluency in English is mandatory and additional knowledge of any other UN official language is an asset.