UNESCO Jobs in Paris, France
Position Title: Senior Legal Officer / Chief of Section
The Senior Legal Officer assists the Office of Legal Standards and International Affairs to lead the program of work. In general, the incumbent will be accountable for providing strategic and technical leadership on general legal matters. In addition to that, the position holder will be liable for the leadership, direction, and supervision to the general legal team.
The successful appointee will perform the following duties in particular
- Draft and review complex legal advice for the Director-General, other departments within UNESCO, the governing bodies and the treaty bodies relating to institutional matters (UNESCO’s mandate and constitution, logo and emblem, membership and privileges and immunities) and corporate and commercial law.
- Similarly, draft, negotiate and review UNESCO’s contracts for the procurement of goods and/or services, memoranda of understanding with partners and funding agreements.
- Draft, review and negotiate the legal aspects (relevant to the functions of the General Legal Section) of agreements and official documents, which have been provided to the Office for comments or clearance.
- Coordinate, approve and undertake research and examine legal precedents for issues relating to the functions, structure, and activities of UNESCO. Such issues may relate to the general field or specialized aspects of constitutional, international, public and private law.
- Represent the Director of the Office and provide oral advice and assistance in resolving procedural and substantive legal questions in UNESCO’s governing bodies, conferences and other bodies (including treaty bodies) meetings under the auspices of UNESCO.
- Prepare and review briefs and represent UNESCO in proceedings before courts of law and other judicial or quasi-judicial bodies. and
- Provide legal input into the development and implementation of the Organization’s strategy and policy. Serve in the areas of privileges and immunities of UNESCO, procurement, management and support services and contracts. Also, provides training in legal matters for field offices in the areas of the Section.
- Furthermore, perform other duties as assigned.
Required education and experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in Law. In addition to that, at least 10 years of relevant legal experience dealing with general legal matters in a law firm or in the legal department of an intergovernmental organization.
- Similarly, five years of experience in an international environment.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, managing and motivating staff and teams.