Apply now for the United Nations Associate Legal Officer at New York. The application deadline is 13th October 2021.
This position is located in the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, Office of Legal Affairs, United Nations. The incumbent will report to a Senior Legal Officer.
Within delegated authority the Associate Legal Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Conducts legal research on a diverse range of assigned issues in international law of the sea and ocean affairs; selects relevant material, analyzes information and presents findings for internal review.
- Assists Legal Officers in the review of legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities and inconsistencies, etc.
- Assists in the preparation of drafts of background papers, studies, reports, etc.
- Assists in the preparation of agreements and contracts with governments, non-governmental organizations and other public and private entities, as well as claims and disputes.
- Assists in administering programmes of legal technical assistance, in particular the United Nations – Nippon Foundation Sustainable Ocean Programme, including development and delivery of training activities and coordination of programme documents and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.
- Assists Legal Officers in servicing diplomatic conferences, commissions, committees, task forces and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues and views of delegations, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts and procedures and terminology for review, examination, and processing of a range of legal documents. Knowledge of various legal research sources, including electronic, and ability to conduct research and analyze information on a wide range of legal issues. Knowledge of public international law, in particular the law of the sea. Ability to interpret and apply legislative instruments, develop and present results, recommendations, and opinions clearly and concisely. Ability to draft legal papers and work under pressure. Ability to apply good legal judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!