United Nations Jobs in Chile
Position title: Chief of the Social Development Division at the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
Roles and responsibilities
In addition to the reporting to the Executive Secretary, the incumbent will perform the following duties
- Formulates and implements the substantive work program of the Social Development Division under his/her supervision. Oversees the management of activities undertaken by the Division, ensures that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and co-ordinates work in the different areas both within the Division and Department and with other organizations of the United Nations System, as appropriate.
- Co-ordinates and oversees the preparation of reports and publications in matters related to social development. Similarly, take part in the publication of the “Social Panorama of Latin America”
- Ensures that the outputs produced by the Division maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data. Ensures that all outputs produced by the Division meet standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates.
- Assists the Executive Secretary in preparing the work program of the Division and determining priorities. Similarly, help in allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
- Undertakes or oversees the programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Division, including preparation of budgets, reporting on budget/program performance, evaluation of staff performance (e-Performance), interviews of candidates for job openings, evaluation of candidates and preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting.
- Manages, guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision.
- Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Division. Also, be responsible for strengthening the coordination and formulation of joint activities with other ECLAC Divisions and Units.
- Coordinates and organizes technical cooperation projects, advisory missions, regional seminars, conferences, technical meetings, and training activities in order to meet ECLAC Member States’ needs and demands and issues related to social development and labor issues.,
- On behalf of the Executive Secretary, he/she represents ECLAC at Meetings of governmental authorities in the region, in interregional and international conferences on social development issues, including the preparation of relevant substantive documentation; performs coordination functions with other international agencies, as well as with other regional commissions and intergovernmental organizations. Also, deal on matters related to the social development of Latin America and Caribbean countries.
In order to be fit for the role, successful applicants must demonstrate the following qualifications
- Advanced university degree in Economics, Sociology or related area. However, Ph.D. is desirable but candidates with a bachelors degree can also apply for the position. But bachelor degree holders must possess two additional years of qualifying work experience in a similar field.
- In addition to that, fifteen years of work experience in academic activities or in the formulation of government policies or international experience in the social development sector.
- Also, experience in research of issues related to social development in Latin America and the Caribbean region, as reflected by the relevant record of publications.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is necessary for this position. Additional knowledge of Portuguese is necessary.
- Furthermore, leadership, planning, organizing, and interpersonal skills are necessary.