United Nations Jobs in Rome, Italy
Position: Ombudsman at the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization
The incumbent will be liable for the following duties
Provision of services to FAO personnel
- Explore with employees their options and different avenues open to them to address work-related grievances/conflicts, taking into account the interests, rights, and obligations existing between the Organization and employees.
- Provide advice, counsel, and coaching to employees to handle employment-related situations.
- Assist all parties to informally resolve work-related issues or disputes through fact-finding, discussion or mediation, if appropriate. Similarly, assist employees alleging improper treatment and/or non-observance of their terms and conditions of employment.
- Mediate and conciliate.
- Assist and advise employees regarding their rights and privileges in their relations with FAO as well as promoting a harmonious and engaging workplace:
- Raise awareness among employees about the importance of preventing and resolving conflicts/grievances at an early stage. Similarly, support the development of conflict resolution competencies among all employees with particular focus on supervisors and managers.
- Identify and analyze FAO policies, procedures, and practices that cause problems or conflicts.
- Report to Senior Management on trends observed and provide practical recommendations for systemic improvement.
- Promote equality and non-discrimination in management processes and facilitate equal participation of employees in relevant work areas regardless of personal background.
- Travel to field offices as required to respond to conflict or facilitate capacity building as a preventative measure.
Developing conflict resolution capacity in the office
- Keep abreast of new developments and best practices in Ombudsman services in order to ensure continual enhancement of related FAO policies, programs, and awareness initiatives.
- Develop and strengthen informal mentoring/coaching options.
- Similarly, participate in relevant interagency, United Nations and other international fora and discussions.
- Furthermore, perform other duties as required.
In order to be eligible for the position, the incumbent must have the following qualifications
- Advanced university degree in law, public administration, human resources, social sciences, or any related subject. In addition to that, training or equivalent experience in the area of alternative conflict resolution or mediation would be an asset.
- Extensive relevant work experience (10 to 12 years) as a mediator/ombudsman/corporate manager, or as a human resources manager involved in conflict resolution in an international environment. Also, experience in conflict/dispute resolution and alternative dispute resolution is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with international organizations’ or UN Common System’s rules.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Demonstrated knowledge of current best practices in organizational Ombudsman functions and alternative conflict resolution tools and the ability to adhere to professional ethical principles (independence, impartiality, confidentiality, and informality).