United Nations jobs in Uganda
Position: Conflict Resolution Officer at Office of the United Nations Ombudsman and Mediation Services
Roles and responsibilities
- Handle cases of staff members and other personnel with access to the Office of the Ombudsman and Mediation Services.
- Review and analyze the matter as well as identify and discuss options for next steps in the framework of the UN system and its rules. Also, provide relevant information and referrals whenever necessary.
- Provide conflict coaching with a view to helping the visitors resolve their issues without referral to higher levels or formal means.
- Conduct informal fact-finding with the agreement of the visitor. This involves contacts with other parties involved, such as supervisors, human resources personnel and administrators.
- Similarly, undertake shuttle diplomacy between the visitor and the respective parties involved, aiming for improved and direct communication. Or otherwise a better understanding of positions allowing to find mutually acceptable solutions.
- Mediate and facilitate the negotiations of the parties involved as a third-party neutral.
- Conduct regular official visits to provide in-person informal conflict resolution services to staff members serving in the locations/missions covered by the Entebbe Branch. Likewise, hold discussions with senior management as required.
- In addition to that, provide in-person informal conflict resolution services to staff members serving in any other locations/missions as required by UNOMS.
- Support in providing continuous feedback into the system identifying systemic issues arising from the cases handled, trends observed and lessons learned;
- Contribute to writing the Office’s annual report to the General Assembly with respect to the trends and systemic issues identified and suggest recommendations for addressing them.
- Make presentations to various audiences as part of outreach efforts and deliver conflict competence workshops supported by UNOMS.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field of conflict resolution and within the Organization Especially in the field of human resources policies and practices.
- Maintain a highly professional and client-oriented Ombudsman practice within UNOMS.
- Perform any other duties or special projects to support UNOMS in carrying out its functions, as assigned. Also, carry do research and contributions to various activities if necessary.
- Act as Officer in Charge of the Regional Branch as required and support in supervising junior staff.
- Masters degree in conflict resolution, law, administration, human resources, social sciences or related field. However, candidates with a bachelor’s degree with two additional years of qualifying work experience can also apply.
- In addition to academic qualification, a minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in conflict resolution, law, human resources, administration or social sciences.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of French is desirable. Also, knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.