United Nations Job Vacancy at Ethiopia
Position: Economic Affairs Officer at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
The position holder will provide substantive support on economic issues to intergovernmental bodies. S/he will also represent the organizational unit at international, regional and national meetings. In addition to these intergovernmental support duties, the incumbent will do the following functions
Economic or sector analysis
- Monitors economic developments in a defined area and identifies recurrent and emerging issues of concern to the United Nations.
- Designs as well as conducts studies on selected and assigned issues in economic development and draft resulting reports for use by the Executive Secretary.
- Interprets and applies results of econometric modeling to analysis of economic prospects and policies for Executive Secretary’s participation at events. Similarly, the position will also develops draft policy recommendations pertaining to the area of work.
- Formulates proposals for development strategies, policies and measures for the Executive Secretary, liaising closely with relevant Divisions.
- Prepares global, regional, national or sector analyses that provide a basis for advising national governments on economic development issues
- Contribute to the planning and organizing of the events involving OES, and the Executive Secretary’s participation in global and regional high-level meetings and, as required, provide substantive backstopping to the ES during the meetings.
- Prepares speeches and other inputs for presentations by Executive Secretary.
- Supports junior staff, reviewing their work and providing feedback.
- Participates in intra- and inter-Departmental undertakings of broader concern to represent the views or interests of the organizational unit.
- Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work of the Office of the Executive Secretary.
- Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics or related field. However, the bachelor degree holder candidate with qualifying experience can also apply for the position.
- At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in development programs or related areas.
- Experience working in a Front Office or Executive Office setting is desirable.
- Furthermore, fluency in English or French is mandatory for the position. Additional knowledge of any other UN official language would be plus.