The United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia announces vacancy opening in the role of Close Protection Officer in Mogadishu. The vacancy opening is for two positions. The Close Protection Officer will work under the supervision and overall command of the Principal Security Adviser (PSA) and Deputy PSA. S/he will directly report to the Close Protection Coordinator through his/her Team Leader on all close protection issues.
The Close Protection Officer will be liable for the following duties
- Conducting close protection operations for Senior UN Officials.
- Remaining within the proximity of the Senior UN Officials at all times and implements mitigating measures to preserve his/her security and safety.
- Similarly, remaining vigilant and alert at all times due to potential threats to the Senior UN Official.
- Maintaining an effective and efficient security coverage for the office and personal residence of the Senior UN Official.
- Conducting close protection operations in accordance with UNDSS Manual of Guidance and policies on close protection Operations.
- Similarly, conducting advance work and implement pre-established security arrangements.
- Coordinating activities with relevant parties and interlocutors including other appropriate security organizations as required. Also, coordinating with local authorities during close protection operations.
- Contributing to pre-deployment briefings as well as operating all close protection equipment and logistics to ensure its operational readiness.
- Assisting in training sessions on close protection matters to keep abreast of current tactics and techniques.
- Supervising the Close Protection Unit drivers and Local Security Assistants in the performance of their assigned duties if necessary.
- Furthermore, performing any other duties as required.
Candidates must have the following qualifications to be eligible for the vacancy of Close Protection Officer at the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia
- A high school diploma or an equivalent diploma is necessary. In addition to that, technical training in military or police procedures, as well as training in close protection, self-defense and security techniques, is mandatory.
- Six years of progressively responsible experience in close protection with a local, national, private or international security organization.
- Also, at least one year of experience and exposure as a Close Protection Officer in a conflict or a high-risk duty station
- Participation in any of the DSS programs i.e. Security Certification Program (SCP), Security Analysis Practice Process (SAPP) and Hostage Incident Management is an asset.
- Experience working in close protection in or in support of field operation of the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization is desirable.
- Recognized medical qualifications such as EMT, Paramedic, Advanced First Aid or Trauma Medic are also desirable.
- Fluency in English is necessary for this position. Furthermore, knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Visit this link for more information.