United Nations Department for General Assembly and Conference Management has 2 vacancy positions for Senior Reviser – Chinese in New York, United States. These positions are located in the Chinese Translation Service, Documentation Division, Department for General Assembly and Conference Management (DGACM), New York. The Chinese Translation Service provides translation of parliamentary documents from English into Chinese. The incumbents work under the general supervision of the Chief of Service as appropriate.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Reviser at United Nations will be responsible for the following duties
- Revises translations and original summary records dealing with subjects of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature, while meeting or exceeding required workload standards.
- Translates texts of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature, while meeting or exceeding required workload standards.
- Makes full use of standard computer-assisted-translation (CAT) tools and assists the Chief of Service in promoting their utilization and in implementing any related IT tools and improvements.
- Directs the conduct of terminological research within the translation unit concerned.
- Counsels and assists revisers and translators/précis-writers, as required, at and away from Headquarters in addition to performing all or some of their functions.
- Assists the Chief of Service in the preparation of terminology materials to meet the needs of the Service concerned.
- Assists the Chief of Service in the preparation of instructions as well as assists the Chief of Service in monitoring the quality of in-house and contractual translations.
- Trains and supervises junior language staff.
- Programs daily and long-term work of the Service.
- Assists the Chief of Service in selecting texts for United Nations competitive examinations, in marking candidates’ scripts, and in evaluating results.
- Serves as the First Reporting Officer for junior staff. Similarly, serves as officer-in-charge in the absence of the Chief of Service.
- Furthermore, performs other related duties as required.
In order to be eligible for this Vacancy of Senior Reviser at United Nations in New York, candidates must have the following qualifications
- A first-level degree from a university or institution of equivalent status is mandatory.
- Candidates for this position must have passed the combined United Nations Language Competitive Examination for Translators/Précis-writers, Editors, Verbatim Reporters and Copy Preparers/Proofreaders/Production Editors in the relevant language or any relevant United Nations language competitive examinations in the relevant language held before 2017.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in translation, précis-writing, editing, self-revision, verbatim reporting, copy preparing, proofreading or production editing (at least four of which should have been revision experience) is required.
- Experience in the use of standard computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools is necessary.
- Out of the aforementioned 10 years, at least eight years of experience at the United Nations or a similar international organization is desirable.
- Fluency in Chinese, which must be the candidate’s main language. Applicants must also have knowledge of English as tested by the relevant United Nations language competitive examination. Knowledge of one other official United Nations language as tested by the relevant United Nations language competitive examination is desirable.
OYA Opportunities is in Telegram too. Catch us here