The World Bank Group announces the vacancy opening for the position of Economist in the country of South-Asia, India. The vacancy is in the section of the Country Economics and Engagement Department (part of the Economics & Private Sector Development Vice Presidency). The position holder will be working with and supporting the IFC Regional Director. In addition to that, the Economist will submit a report to the Regional Strategy Manager in CCE and liaise with the Strategy team based in Washington DC.
In particular, the Economist will be responsible for the following tasks
- Working closely with the Regional Director and providing economic support to IFC’s activities as needed
- Acting as a local focal point for the Regional Director, working closely with operational staff and liaising with the Regional Strategy Team and the Regional Strategy Manager in CCE to ensure adequate support to Operations on the economic front, at the project level and strategy level.
- Similarly, leading the strategy work for major countries and several countries within a region.
- Working closely with country/industry managers, teams, and stakeholders in developing IFC country and/or industry strategies in the Region.
- Contributing to the preparation of briefs, reports, and presentations to various stakeholders, including senior management and the Board, as well as external stakeholders.
- Providing economic advice on investment and advisory projects, including due diligence.
- Furthermore, drafting relevant sections of Board papers for investment project approval (macroeconomy and country context).
- Co-Leading Country Private Sector Diagnostics and subsequent preparation of IFC Country Strategies.
- Together with Regional management preparing IFC input to WBG Systematic Country Diagnostics, Country Partnership Frameworks, progress reports, and other joint initiatives.
- Also, advising IFC senior management on Board-related matters, based on established links and understanding of Board priorities and identify issues that are highly relevant to expressed interests and concerns of the Board.
- Providing in-depth input to global and/or regional policy initiatives as well as undertaking analytical work on strategic topics that inform country strategies.
Candidates must have the following qualifications to be eligible for this Economist vacancy in World Bank office in India
- A graduate degree in economics, public policy or another relevant graduate degree from a reputable university. In addition to that, at least 8 years of experience demonstrating analytical skills in economics and private sector development work in a country/regional context.
- Experience in and strong knowledge of the economic context and challenges of countries.
- Familiarity with IFC’s or similar Development Finance Institutions’ areas of focus and relevant experience in the country/regional context.
- Knowledge of IFC operational and portfolio work and a good understanding of investment projects is desirable.
- Excellent understanding of financial and economic concepts and data as well as strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with high-level stakeholders in English.
Follow this link for more information.