Writer Jobs at United Nations, Nairobi, Kenya
Position: Public Information Officer (Head Writer) at the United Nations Environment Programme
The Public Information Officer – Head Writer will be doing the following jobs at the United Nations Office at Nairobi
- Design, plan, develop and implement large, complex communication campaigns (e.g. story harvesting, global promotion initiatives, public information programs, broad-reaching environment-specific issues, etc.).
- Plan and manage the work to ensure smooth coordination, the accuracy of the information and compliance with the content strategy.
- Provide advice as well as expertise to managers, senior officers and public information staff on a range of public information issues, methods, and approaches.
- Similalry, anticipate and resolve communication/public relations issues/problems.
- Prepare a diverse range of information communication products in support of UNEP’s major campaign initiatives.
- Write complex materials for various UN Environment newsletters, periodicals, reports, and other publications.
- Similarly, write texts to be issued in the name of UN Environment’s senior officials as well as writing speeches, speaking notes, media advisories, and other content for the use by media.
- Draft and edit the UNEPannual report. Similarly, edit press releases, media advisories and other written outputs drafted by junior officers.
- Work closely with the communication team in developing key messages and themes for major UNEP events to promote a relevant policy or science messages.
- Evaluate results and impact of communication activities and report on developments, trends, and attitudes regarding UNEP.
- Build information networks, plan and also oversee the maintenance of publicly accessible information materials on UNEP.
- Plan and develop outreach activities including capacity building for journalists through workshops and training.
The ideal appointee will have the following qualifications
- Advanced University Degree in Journalism, Communication, Social Sciences or other related fields. However, candidates with a bachelor’s degree with an additional two years of qualifying experience can also apply.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in public information, communication, program management or related field, some of which at the international level.
- Experience as an English writer with a focus on environmental and also sustainable development issues is desirable.
- For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Furthermore, knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.