Applications are open for Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2021. There are separate photography prizes open to adults, young photographers, and astrophotography newcomers. All entrants have a chance of winning cash prizes, seeing their image displayed in an exhibition at the National Maritime Museum, a year’s subscription to BBC Sky at Night magazine, and a copy of the Astronomy Photographer of the Year publication.
There are no separate categories in the Young competition. The Young competition will have one winner, one runner-up, and three highly commended awards. However, the adult competition will have the following categories
- Aurorae: Photographs featuring the northern and southern lights (Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis)
- Galaxies: Photographs of deep-space objects beyond the Milky Way galaxy, including galaxies, galaxy clusters, and stellar associations
- Our Moon: Photographs of the Moon, including lunar eclipses and the occultation of stars and planets.
- Our Sun: Photographs of the Sun, including solar eclipses and transits.
- People and Space: Photographs of the night sky that include people or elements that show the presence or influence of human beings
- Planets, Comets, and Asteroids: Photographs of objects in our solar system, including planets and their satellites, comets, asteroids, and other forms of zodiacal debris
- Skyscapes: Photographs of landscapes, seascapes, and cityscapes in which the night sky or twilight sky is a prominent feature
Stars and Nebulae: Photographs of deep-space objects in the Milky Way galaxy, including stars, star clusters, supernova remnants, nebulae, and other galactic phenomena
How to enter?
- Enter via online entry site here
- If you are new to the competition, you’ll need to register and set up a competition account
- The Adult competition is open to anyone aged 16 and over, and the Young competition is open to anyone under 16
- You may submit a total of 10 images to be considered
- There will be a £10 fee per entrant. Entrants to the Young Competition and special prizes are exempt.
- The overall winner’s prize across all Adult categories is £10,000. Keep reading this page for full details about the prizes on offer
The full competition rules are available here.