Applications are open for Dr Gordon Hirabayashi Human Rights Award. Awarded annually to a student registered full-time in a graduate degree program in the Department of Sociology at the University of Alberta with research interests in one or more of the following areas: human rights, race and ethnic relations, social inequality, or social justice. The recipients will of Dr. Gordon Hirabayashi Human Rights Award be selected on the basis of superior academic achievement (equivalent to a grade point average of 3.5 or greater on the University of Alberta grading scale).
- The individual or group must be committed to the ideal, as stated in the mission statement of the NAJC, “to strive for equal rights and liberties for all people, particularly racial and ethnic minorities”.
- Individuals or groups must live/operate in Canada
- The award will not be given posthumously nor to an organization that is no longer active.
- The person may or may not be of Japanese ancestry or a member of NAJC., but supportive of its mandate.
Nominations will be accepted by email or mail, together with the following documents in a single submission
- A letter from the nominator (including address, phone number and email) describing the nominee, their volunteer or paid work and accomplishments, as well as why the nominee merits the award.
- A curriculum vitae or detailed biography or a profile of the nominee.
- Any additional supporting documentation such as articles written by or about the nominee, print materials, internet links or other information.
- At least two references (including addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses), who have in-depth knowledge of the nominee’s work and activities, and who may be contacted by jury members to obtain more detailed information.
- A jury of 3 people composed of the Chair of the Human Rights Committee, plus two others selected by the NEB, will review all nominations and make the selection.
- Deadline for nominations is July 31, 2021 and providing there is a suitable candidate, the award will be presented at the 2021 AGM.
- Nominations are to be sent to the attention of the Chair, NAJC Human Rights Committee by email to [email protected] or by regular mail to 180 McPhillips Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E 2J9.
OYA Opportunities is in Telegram too. Catch us here