Fully Funded Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation 2019 is open for applications. The Africa Prize encourages ambitious and talented sub-Saharan African engineers from all disciplines to apply their skills to develop scalable solutions to local challenges, highlighting the importance of engineering as an enabler of improved quality of life and economic development. Furthermore, it aims to stimulate, celebrate and reward innovation and entrepreneurship in sub-Saharan Africa.
- 16 applicants will receive an eight-month package of mentoring and training. The training will include
- Three week-long immersion sessions, in Africa and the UK. Moreover, the academy will cover the visa fees, international flights, airport transfers, hotel accommodation, subsistence and any in-country transport related to the training for the three immersion weeks
- Remote group as well as one-on-one training and mentoring, taking place on a regular basis via video conference, telephone calls and webinars.
- The shortlisted candidates from the training session will get invitations to display their innovations at an exhibition at the final event.
- The winner will receive £25,000 whereas the three runners-up will receive £10,000 each.
- Applicants must be individuals or small teams
- Individual applicants must be citizens of a country in sub-Saharan Africa
- For teams of two or more, the lead applicant must be a citizen of a country in sub-Saharan Africa
- In addition, the innovation must be based in a country in sub-Saharan Africa
- Applicants must have an engineering innovation, though are not required to be an engineering graduate or student
- Applicants must provide a letter of support from a university or research institution
- The lead applicant must be over the age of 18. There is no upper age limit.
- However, industrial researchers and establishments are not eligible.
- The applicant’s innovation can be any new product, technology or service encompassing a wide range of fields such as, agricultural technology, biotechnology, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer science, design engineering, electrical and electronic engineering
All applications must be submitted via the online Grant System. You must register though the system before you can apply.