Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN) is offering grants to journalists in the Asia-Pacific region to support in-depth and investigative reporting on climate and environmental change that can inform at-risk communities and policy makers to make better decisions as well as build resilience.
Despite the scale of the problem, many media outlets in the region, especially local ones at the front lines of these challenges, don’t have the resources to cover them effectively nor reporters devoted to environmental coverage. This leads to a lack of stories that explain the complexity of these issues to local communities and illustrate how communities most threatened by environmental change are adapting.
Moreover, EJN’s Asia-Pacific project aims to overcome these barriers by providing grants and mentorship to individual journalists to report on climate change, environment as well as natural resource management. This work is made possible with funding from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
- The Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP) has agreed to serve as a resource for expert sources and data for the story grant applications from the Pacific.
- Also, Grantees are free to publish or broadcast their stories in their affiliated media as long as EJN and Sida are also given rights to edit, publish, broadcast and distribute them freely.
- Freelance reporters should demonstrate a plan for publication and are encouraged to provide a letter of interest from an editor
- Also, For this round of grants, they are looking for applications from both:
- early career journalists with less than 5 years of reporting experience and;
- mid-level/senior reporters who have at least 5 years of experience
- Applicants should follow the link below and complete the form by the listed deadline.
- Each application will require a detailed budget proposal. Applicants should follow this link and download and complete the budget form before beginning the application since they will be asked to attach it.
- In addition to answering the questions on the form, they ask that every applicant submit a resume/CV and three samples of reporting.