Applications are open for Future Food – A Swiss Research Initiative 2021. EPFL and ETH Zurich have launched the Future Food Initiative together with Swiss food industry leaders Bühler, Givaudan and Nestlé. Future Food provides opportunities to educate and train new talent around the food value chain by leveraging the complementary strengths of the Swiss academic and industrial research communities.
Call for Proposal
The Future Food Fellowship is a postdoc programme for exceptionally qualified young researchers who propose projects targeting future food issues, such as nutrition, production, packaging and health. The fellowship provides research funds for three years; enabling fellows to work on their projects and collaborate with Swiss industry partners.
Although the call is open to any outstanding proposal, following topics are prioritised in 2021:
- Plant based nutrition – protein and beyond
- Climate change mitigation
- Healthful nutrition for low income populations
- Sustainable processes and food design
- The funding will be granted to cover the fellow’s salary in accordance with the host institution’s standard conditions plus a yearly contribution for project costs.
- The total funds per fellowship may not exceed CHF 390’000 for the entire three-year grant, including social security contributions.
- Fellows are also encouraged to seek faculty or industry positions.
- Citizens of any nationality may apply; there are no restrictions concerning age.
- Applicants must hold a doctorate or will complete their doctorate until 30 September succeeding the interview date. Applicants with completed doctorate must have obtained it a maximum of three years prior to the submission deadline.
- Also, applicants must not have been affiliated for studies, research, employment or other activities (with or without payment) at either ETH Zurich or EPFL during the 12 months that immediately precede the submission deadline.
- Applications will not be forwarded for evaluation if applicants already hold or have held a faculty-equivalent position (e.g. assistant professor) in a higher education institution in Switzerland or abroad.
- Applications and supporting documentation must be written in English.
- The prospective research project must also comply with the applicable ethics regulations and adhere to the principles of research integrity valid at the host institution (ETH Zurich or EPFL). Relevant ethical, legal and social considerations should be included in the proposal.