Grant 2024 U.S Fund for Investigative Journalism (FIJ)
The FIJ Grant 2024 provides grants of up to $10,000 to cover out-of-pocket expenses such as travel, document collection, and equipment rental. The program also offers a stipend for journalists who need additional financial support, and mentorship and support from experienced investigative journalists. Grantees also have the opportunity to have their work published and promoted by the FIJ.
To be eligible for the FIJ Grant 2024, journalists must be based in the United States or have a strong US angle to their story. Journalists must also have a proven track record of producing high-quality investigative reporting. Projects must be original and have the potential to make a significant impact.
The application process for the FIJ Grant 2024 is competitive. Applicants must submit a proposal that includes a detailed budget, timeline, and description of the project. Applicants must also provide clips of previous work and references from other journalists. A letter of support from a media outlet that has agreed to publish the work is also required. It is a valuable opportunity for journalists to receive financial support and mentorship for their investigative reporting. The program has helped to produce some of the most important investigative journalism of the past few decades.
Here are some examples of investigative stories that have been supported by the FIJ Grant in recent years:
- A ProPublica investigation that exposed how the Trump administration was separating migrant families at the border.
- A New York Times investigation that revealed how the Sackler family, the owners of Purdue Pharma, misled the public about the dangers of OxyContin and fueled the opioid crisis.
- A Marshall Project investigation that found that Black defendants are more likely to be convicted of crimes they didn’t commit than white defendants.
- A Los Angeles Times investigation that uncovered how the Catholic Church covered up decades of sexual abuse by priests.
These are just a few examples of the many important investigative stories that have been supported by the FIJ Grant. The program plays a vital role in supporting the work of investigative journalists, who hold the powerful accountable and make democracy stronger.
How the FIJ Grant 2024 can help you produce high-quality investigative journalism:
The FIJ Grant 2024 can help you produce high-quality investigative journalism in a number of ways:
- Financial support: The grant can cover the out-of-pocket expenses associated with investigative reporting, such as travel, document collection, and equipment rental. This can free up your time and resources to focus on your reporting.
- Mentorship and support: The FIJ provides mentorship and support from experienced investigative journalists. This can be invaluable in helping you to develop your skills and knowledge, and to navigate the challenges of investigative reporting.
- Publication and promotion: The FIJ has a network of media partners who are interested in publishing high-quality investigative journalism. The FIJ can help you to get your work published and promoted to a wide audience.
If you are an investigative journalist who is working on a story that has the potential to make a difference, apply for the FIJ Grant 2024.
Benefits of Fund Investigative Journalism
- Grants of up to $10,000 to cover out-of-pocket expenses such as travel, document collection, and equipment rental.
- A stipend for journalists who need additional financial support.
- Mentorship and support from experienced investigative journalists.
- Opportunities for publication and promotion of the work.
“You should take a look at”
- Journalists must be based in the United States or have a strong US angle to their story.
- Journalists must have a proven track record of producing high-quality investigative reporting.
- Projects must be original and have the potential to make a significant impact.
Eligible Regions: United States
The U.S. program for the 2024 Fund for Investigative Journalism (FIJ) review applications for regular grants three or four times a year. The deadline to apply for regular grants is Monday, January 29, 2024, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern. Applicants receive a decision about six weeks after the deadline.