Applications call for L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science South African National Program.
The second edition of the L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science South African National Programme aims to promote and encourage young women in science. This program identifies and rewards talented young female scientists in the field of Formal sciences, Life sciences, Environmental Sciences, Physical sciences, Engineering and Technological sciences. There are two programs for Africa in line with the vision of empowering more young female scientists across Africa:
- The South African National Programme
- The sub-Saharan Africa Regional Programme
This program honors seven talented South African women for the quality of their research and encourages them to pursue a career in science in any South African Province.
- Five research grants of R80 000 each for five Ph.D. researchers enrolled at a South African institution and completing their doctorate in a research laboratory.
- Two research grants of R160 000 each for two South African post-doctoral researchers working in a laboratory or research institute registered in one of the South African provinces.
Candidates must have the following qualifications
- Having obtained a Ph.D. degree in Formal sciences, Life sciences, Environmental Sciences, Physical sciences, Engineering and Technological sciences or pursuing studies leading to a Ph.D. degree at a South African university.
- Be a South African Citizen.
- Working in a Research Laboratory or Institution or being enrolled in a doctoral program at a University in South Africa.
- Candidates must be no more than 40 years old by the end of the application period for Ph.D. and Post-doctoral awards.
- The candidate’s outstanding academic records- including number, quality, and impact of the publications (impact factors to be submitted)
- Conference presentations and patents
- The scientific quality of the research project
- The innovative nature and productivity of the research and its potential application in science
- Launch call for applications – 9 April 2020
- Closing date – 29 May 2020
- Evaluation by adjudicators – June 2020
- Evaluation by Jury members – July 2020
- Jury deliberation meeting – September 2020
- Announcement of winners – October 2020