Applications are open for the Maya Angelou Book Award 2022. The Maya Angelou Book Award was founded in 2020 to honor the legacy of Missouri-born author Maya Angelou.
- one writer will win $10,000
- conduct a reading tour of Missouri colleges, universities, as well as libraries
- Also, be recognized in a ceremony sponsored by the Kansas City Public Library, the University of Missouri, and the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
- Entries must come from publishers. Authors may not submit their works independently.
- Works with a publication date in 2021 or a scheduled publication date through November 2022 are eligible.
- Also, entrants must be U.S. citizens and reside within the United States.
- Entrants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Entrants must be available for a two-week reading tour at partnering educational institutions in Missouri.
- In addition, entrants must not be employees of a Missouri college or university that co-sponsors this award, or an employee of the Kansas City Public Library.
Dates and Datelines
- Submissions open: February 8, 2022
- Submissions close: April 1, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. CDT
- Announcement of winner: Fall 2022
- Book tour and ceremony: TBD
Note that entries are not complete until the author sends an electronic manuscript or five print copies to the committee.