Applications call for Mophradat Grants 2020 for Artists in the Arab World.
The Mophradat Grants support artists (individuals, collaborations, or collectives) to develop their practice. This program is specially directed to those inventing new forms of creating and sharing arts knowledge with others, and for those aiming to question the current arts making paradigm; therefore we encourage eccentric and critical proposals challenging traditional arts genres and discourses. Among other activities, the grants can be used to pursue threads of research, stage an event, make new work, publish, travel, take part in a residency or workshop, organize meetings and gatherings, or present an exhibition or performance.
The Mophradat Grants can cover part or all of the proposed activity or project. Between fifteen and thirty grants are awarded each calendar year depending on the available budget, with a maximum amount of US$5,000 per grant.
- Must be able to submit all the necessary documents.
- Be related to a field of contemporary arts (all disciplines are welcome).
- Be for a contemporary arts activity or project by artists or other arts practitioners from or living in the Arab world, or be relevant to the region.
- Realized by professional artists and/or other arts practitioners (such as curators, critics, writers, etc.) who have been active in their field for a number of years.
- Ambitious and demonstrate an awareness of artistic concerns.
- Involve no commercial activity or organization
- Devoid of any intention to promote intolerance, violence, patriarchal worldviews, or any form of discrimination based on ability, age, gender, nationality, origin, race, religion, or sexuality.
- Not work against Mophradat’s mission and values, which you can read here.
- Meet the specific criteria related to the specific open call.
- The proposal must be achievable and completed within twelve months of the grant submission deadline.
- Production and post-production for feature films are not eligible.
- Applications to attend degree-based study programs (such as MAs or PhDs) are out of the grant program’s scope and will not be considered.
- Mophradat does not support applications to cover the costs and fees of artists invited to run a workshop, administer, or curate projects in Europe or North America that fall under categories of (temporary) employment in those contexts, and should be covered by those hosts’ institutional budgets.
- Grant recipients are evaluated and selected by an external advisory committee once the application is confirmed to be fulfilling the program’s general and specific eligibility criteria. The advisors’ names are published after grant recipients are announced.
- All applicants, whether selected or not, receive a response to their applications one month after the application deadline. If selected, a grant agreement will be signed between the recipient and Mophradat.
- Funds will be released in a two-stage process: 80 percent when the grant agreement is signed and the remaining 20 percent on project completion.
- A narrative summary of what was achieved, and a financial report must be submitted before the end date of the grant agreement and before the last installment is paid.
See FAQ for more information