Applications call for Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition 2020
A photomicrograph is a technical document that can be of great significance to science or industry. But a good photomicrograph is also an image whose structure, color, composition, and content is an object of beauty, open to several levels of comprehension and appreciation. The Nikon Small World Competition is open to anyone with an interest in photography through the microscope.
- 1st Prize – USD $3,000 and a trip to Japan for two
- 2nd Prize – USD $2,000
- 3rd Prize – USD $1,000
- 4th Prize – USD $800
- 5th Prize – USD $600
- 6th Prize – USD $400
- 7th-10th Prizes – USD $300 each
- 11th-20th Prizes – USD $200 each
- Honorable Mentions – USD $100 each.
The Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition (the “Competition”) is open only to individuals who are at least eighteen years old at the time of entry and have access to a light microscope.
In particular, the following individuals are not eligible to enter the Competition:
- Employees of Nikon Instruments Inc., Shaw & Todd, Inc., their respective parent companies and affiliated companies, and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such employee.
- The Competition Judges, regardless of the date of appointment, and/or their immediate family and household members, and/or
- Individuals engaged (as a business owner or employee) in the manufacture, distribution and/or sale of microscopes, related accessories and/or photographic equipment.
- Informational Content
- Technical Proficiency
- Artistic and Visual Impact
Rules and Restrictions
- Images must be in .jpeg, .png, .psd, or .tiff format.
- Images should be submitted with the highest quality with regard to file size, bit depth and resolution.
- Images do not need to be taken with a Nikon-branded microscope.
- Images must be taken by Entrant using a light microscope. Images taken with an electron or any other microscope(s) that do not capture imagery using optical light technology are not eligible.
- Macro photography is not eligible.
- Images that have competed previously in any active or ongoing photomicrography competition, and/or that have won any other photomicrography competition, are not eligible.
- The Submission must be in the English language.
- The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement.
- The Submission must not disparage Sponsor, Administrator or any other person or entity.
- The Submission must not contain brand names, logos and/or trademarks; any URL addresses; and/or the names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, image, and/or likenesses of third parties.
- The Submission must also not contain viruses, Trojan horses, worms, bots, spyware or any other computer code that is intended to or does damage, interfere with and/or surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or information.
- Furthermore, the Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, discriminatory, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous, or contain material that is otherwise unlawful, in violation of or contrary to any applicable laws or regulations.
Click here to see more information about the Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition.