The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations calls application for Photo and video contest on Soil Biodiversity 2020. The competition has two main categories:
- Mega & Macrofauna: e.g. Toads, moles, beavers, rabbits, badgers, earthworms, termites, ants, millipedes, woodlice…etc
- Meso & Microfauna: e.g. Small invertebrates such as tardigrades, mites, insects like collembolans, diplurans, and proturans, bacteria, protozoans, fungi, nematodes…etc
The objectives of the Photo and video contest on Soil Biodiversity are to
- Promote and give visibility to the importance of soil organisms.
- Raise awareness of the urgency of protecting soil biodiversity.
- Stimulate engagement and participation of a wider broader audience on social media in relation to soil biodiversity.
The winners of each category will receive a prize of USD 500. In addition to that, additional prizes will be given to the 5 shortlisted finalists of each category. They will also receive soil-related gadgets, an official certificate of recognition, and will have their entries printed and exposed in the FAO Atrium during the Global Symposium on Soil Biodiversity, on UN/FAO websites and social media channels, and on a special article featuring the winners of the contest.
Rules of Partipication
- Each participant can submit up to five entries by filling and submitting the registration form.
- Entries should be sent by email to [email protected] by 30 June 2020 using any file transfer services.
- Entrants must own the copyright and must have taken the photographs/ videos themselves. They may have been taken at any time prior to the contest launch.
- Photographs and videos should fall under one of the categories mentioned above.
- Participants should not forget to post their photos/videos if they have social media accounts, using the competition hashtags: #SoilBiodiversity,#GSOBI20 and #Biodiversity2020.
- The FAO corporate social media may share and retweet the winning photos on corporate accounts.
- Submission opens: 5 April 2020
- Submission closes: 30 June 2020
- Shortlisting of the 5 best submissions for each category: July-August 2020
- The public vote opens: 7-9 September 2020
- Public vote closes (announcement of the winner): 9 September 2020
Download the REGISTRATION FORM