Applications are open for Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition 2021. It is the world’s oldest international writing competition for schools, established in 1883. With thousands of young people taking part each year, it is an important way to recognize achievement, elevate youth voices and develop key skills through creative writing.
For 2021 the Competition theme is Community in the Commonwealth. With the global spread of COVID-19, we’ve seen the lives of many Commonwealth citizens affected. However, through adversity, societies came together and stories of growth, community and hope continue to emerge.
- Junior Awards Categories (Under 14s)
- Senior Awards Categories (Ages 14–18)
Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition Prizes
Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition 2021 has the following prizes
- One Winner and Runner Up will be chosen from each category.
- Winners and Runners Up (accompanied by one adult/guardian) will be brought to London for a week of educational and cultural events, culminating in a special Awards Ceremony.
- A number of Gold Finalist, Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards will be given in both the Senior and Junior categories, rewarding excellence in writing.
- Furthermore, all successful entries will receive a Certificate of Participation.
- Participants are expected to show originality and flair, linked to sound academic standards and competent use of English as a written language. This includes a good standard of spelling and punctuation, neat presentation and clear hand-writing or word-processing.
- Entries must respond to the topic. Each year a number of good entrants must be disregarded because they do not fully answer/reflect on what the topic has asked them to do.
- Entrants are encouraged to be creative in their response to a topic. Entries can be submitted in a number of different formats: for example, a poem, letter, article, story, essay or a short play/script.
- Illustrations are welcomed, particularly in Junior entries; but they must enhance the written text and add to the overall quality of the entry.
Terms and Conditions and Frequently Asked Questions