Are you ready to tackle one of the most exciting design challenges of our time? The Stanford Center on Longevity invites bright minds from universities worldwide to participate in the 2023-2024 Longevity Design Challenge, where innovation meets the future. And yes, there’s a chance to win a grand prize of $10,000 USD!
The Challenge: Designing for Life Transitions In a world where living for a century is increasingly common, the Stanford Center on Longevity presents the “Designing for Life Transitions” challenge. The traditional life course is evolving, becoming more flexible, and complex. People are navigating various roles throughout their extended lifespans. This is an opportunity to reshape the entire human experience and make informed choices about utilizing the gift of longevity.
The New Map of Life envisions multiple paths for our extra years—pauses in careers for family or personal development, returning to school at various stages, shifting careers multiple times, post-retirement re-entry into the workforce, and more. Your challenge is to design innovative solutions that facilitate these transitions, making them positive and meaningful. Remember, addressing issues early in life can have profound effects on later life.
Design Possibilities: Your designs can encompass physical products, digital solutions, or programs. They can focus on any life transition, spanning the entire human lifespan. For a deeper understanding, refer to section 5 of the Stanford Center on Longevity’s New Map of Life, which highlights that “Life Transitions are a Feature, Not a Bug.”
Life Transitions Addressed by Design Include (but not limited to):
- Moving to independence from the family home
- Cohabiting with roommates (of various generations)
- Adapting to a new location, culture, or language
- Downsizing in later life
- Completing different stages of education
- Career changes, retraining, or returning to school
- Retirement and encore careers
- Committing to a long-term partner or marriage
- Coping with significant life losses or changes
- Joining or leaving a religious or civic community
- Adjusting to environmental or societal shifts
- Adapting to health-related changes
The Design Challenge Process:
- Create a design for a product, service, or program addressing the Challenge theme.
- Submit your design online from September 11 to November 30, 2023.
- Finalist teams (6-8) will be unveiled on January 24, 2024.
- Finalists receive $1,000 USD for prototyping and finals prep.
- Travel reimbursement to Stanford for presentations in April 2024 (conditions permitting).
- Grand prizes awarded (1st place: $10,000 USD, 2nd place: $5,000 USD, 3rd place: $2,000 USD).
Please note that prizes are subject to applicable tax withholding.
For More Information: Visit the official Challenge website at Longevity Design Challenge to find detailed information and updates.
Stay connected with the Challenge on social media:
Don’t miss your chance to be part of this transformative design challenge. Join us in shaping a future where life transitions are smoother, meaningful, and filled with innovation. Get ready to design for life!