Technovation Challenge 2019 has opened the application for the girls all around the world. Technovation offers girls around the world the opportunity to learn the necessary skills to become tech entrepreneurs and leaders. Nearly 20,000 girls around the world registered to participate in Technovation 2018, building apps and starting businesses that solve problems in their communities. The 2018 Gold Scholarship winners were Team Cantavits, from India, for their app Eedo, developed to help address improper e-waste disposal.
- Any girl or young woman (ages 10-18) interested in Technovation is eligible to compete, as long as she creates or joins a team on our online platform, has a signed parental consent form (which includes a photo waiver), and completes a pre-program survey.
- You will join a team to create, build, and sell an app that addresses a problem in your community – or support a team that does.
- Find the role that makes the most sense for you – student, mentor, ambassador or judge – and then sign up! They’ll help you figure out the rest.
The Technovation curriculum is FREE. All you need is up to five middle school or high school girls, a safe place to meet, a laptop with internet. Teams may purchase smartphones to test the apps they create, but this can also be done in a limited way through a web-based phone emulator on App Inventor.
- To be eligible to participate in Technovation as a student, you must be between the ages of 10 to 18 as of August 1, 2019 and identify as female.
- To be fully registered, you must form or join a team. Teams can range in size from 1-5 girls. No more than 5 girls are allowed to join a team. You can only join one team.
Your team’s division – Junior or Senior – depends on the age of all team members.
- Junior Division: Team members are between 10-14 years old as of August 1, 2019
- Senior Division: Team members are between 15-18 years old as of August 1, 2019
- In order to participate, all students must be between the ages of 10 to 18 as of August 1, 2019.
- All students must identify as female. No males can enter the competition.
- Teams are composed of 1 to 5 students. No more than 5 students are allowed to join a team.
- Students can only join 1 team.
- Divisions are based on the age of the oldest student on the team.
Note: These are the general rules for Technovation mentors. Please check with your local Regional Ambassador if there any rules that are specific to your region.
- Mentors must be over the age of 18, unless special permission is granted from Technovation.
- Mentors can be Technovation alumni.
- Mentors can join more than one team.
- In order to submit, mentors will need to complete their profile which includes:
- Consent form
- Background Check (if applicable)
- Bio completed
- Mentors/adults cannot write/produce any part of the submission for the students. This includes writing the code, writing the business plan, or producing the pitch video/demo video.
- Mentors cannot take credit for students’ work, use students’ work to their advantage, or copy/reproduce ideas without the explicit permission of all team members.
- Mentors may be allowed to become virtual judges but will not be allowed to judge submissions from their region.
- Mentors cannot receive any part of the student’s prize money if their team wins. It is intended for students only.
Students cannot ask mentors to code their app for them, write their business plan, or produce their pitch/demo video. All such submissions will be ineligible for the competition.
- Registration Opens: October 1, 2018
- Official Season Launch: January 7, 2019
- Registration Deadline: March 20, 2019
- Submission Deadline: April 23, 2019
- World Pitch: August 2019