Following the success of 2020’s ‘New World’, The Elmbridge Literary Competition is once more open to national and international submissions. Run in partnership between The R C Sherriff Trust and Elmbridge Borough Council, it is open to all ages. Alongside the prizes for each age category, The 2020 Competition includes The Elmbridge prize for the best story or poem in the adult category submitted by an Elmbridge resident.
The Competition will once again run in partnership with publishers Sampson Low, who will publish the winning entries as a Chapbook. (Small and affordable forms of literature, Chapbooks historically were sold on the streets, and covered a range of subjects from fairy tales and ghost stories to news of politics, crime or disaster.)
The 16th Elmbridge Literary Competition 2021 has the following age categorieses
- Ages 5 – 7: Little rhymes and stories.
- Ages 8 – 11 (Junior): Poems and short stories.
- Ages 11 (Secondary) – 13: Poems and short stories.
- Ages 14 – 18: Poems and short stories.
- Ages Adult: Poems and short stories.
- All entries must be typed, using Arial font, and double-spaced on single sides of A4 paper.
- Entries that do not adhere to these conditions will not be considered.
- Short stories must be in English, previously unpublished, and a maximum length of 1000 words (8-13 years) or 1500 words (14+). Entries that do not adhere to these conditions will not be considered.
- Poems must be in English, previously unpublished and a maximum length of 30 lines typed, using a standard, legible font, double-spaced on single sides of A4 paper. Entries that do not adhere to these conditions will not be considered.
- Little Rhymes and Stories for the 5-7 years group should be no longer than 20 lines (Rhymes) or 500 words (Stories) and can be handwritten (but must be legible). Where possible we suggest a typed copy is attached. The Judges will not consider any entries which they cannot read.
- All entries must be accompanied by a cover sheet stating: age category being entered, the title of the story/poem, word/line count, author’s name, age (if under 18), a postal address, and daytime telephone number and email address. This should be the first page of all entries and NOT on a separate sheet or embedded in an email.
Terms and Conditions