Applications call for the Allianz Climate Risk Research Award 2020
The Allianz Climate Risk Research Award supports scientific research that improves our understanding of climate change-related risks. The compendium is a compilation of selected essays from participants of the 2019 edition.
The Allianz Climate Risk Research Award supports scientific research that improves our understanding of climate change-related risks. The 2020 Award focuses on how science can help insurers deal with extreme weather and climate risks. The Award is intended to support researchers whose research focuses on:
- Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change.
- Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions.
Who can apply?
PhD students who are in the final stages of their research and postdoctoral researchers who have recently finished their research can apply for this scholarship. Candidates welcome individual applications from the fields of natural and social sciences.
Four finalists will receive a monetary award and will be invited to an Award ceremony at Allianz Headquarters in Munich on the 27-28th of October 2020 to present their findings and take part in an interactive discussion with renowned experts from both industry and academia.
- Innovation: The research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing the risks of natural catastrophes and how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies.
- Impact: Research projects can make a difference in the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience.
- Applicability: The research project addresses a relevant problem and has an ideal connection to a practical solution.
- Academic excellence: Sound research approach and methodology.
- University students currently pursuing either a Ph.D. degree or a post-doc, as well as recent Ph.D. graduates or recent post-doc graduates. (Graduation/defense of final research to obtain title should not be more than two years before the time of the application)
- Research applicable to focus and the topic of Award
- Completed application form
- Supporting documents consists of:
- Two-page non-technical essay based on their research
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate’s academic mentor
- Filled and signed declaration form
- We welcome the four finalists to travel to Munich-Germany for the Award’s event. Allianz Re will cover all travel costs (please refer to FAQ)
- Eagerness to be part of internal and external communication around the Award (e.g. interviews)