Applications call for the Documentary Family Awards 2021. The Documentary Family Awards (DFA) provides a platform that celebrates the very best documentary family photography from around the world, while also supporting photographers through open online educational events.
With one of the most transparent judging processes in the industry, the DFA streams online its entire final round of judging for anyone to watch, providing a unique opportunity for viewers to learn from leading documentary photographers, photojournalists and editors during in-depth discussions and debates.
- First entry is free
- Access to live stream judging providing hours of educational discussions directly related to the documentary family photography genre.
- $3800 USD in cash prizes
- Best Overall Award winners receive $500 (1st place), $350 (2nd place) and $250 (3rd place) and free entries into the next award cycle.
- 1st Place Award winners in each category receive $250 USD and free entries into the next award cycle.
- Judges Choice Awards receive free entries into the next award cycle.
- Permanent online gallery published featuring all award winners, honorable mentions and finalist images.
- Customized Press-release for digital or print media sent to every award winner.
- Individual award profile created for all winners on the DFA website featuring their work.
- Feature Interviews and Photographer Spotlights regularly published in the DFA photo digest newsletter as well as featured across the DFA’s social media channels.
- Video On Demand access to the final round of judging of the March 2021 Call For Entries.
- Digital Award Badge for all winners and honorable mentions for use on their website or social media.
- Your winning photograph(s) published in the 2021 year-end magazine.
- Eyes on your work and the opportunity for critique from top photographers, educators and editors in the industry.
- Adherence to category-specific rules
- Strength of voice or point of view
- Strength of moment and composition
- The photograph’s ability to transcend or elevate the genre
- The photograph’s ability to resonate with the viewer
- Aspect Ratio: The programs accept any aspect ratio.
- Image Dimension: At least 1500px on the long edge. 2000px or more prefered.
- Image Size: Maximum file size of each photo should be 50MB.
- Image File Type: jpg.
- Toning: Color or Black & White only. No spot colouring or split toning allowed.
- Image Date: Photos submitted can be from any year unless category-specific rules apply.
- No watermarks, text or borders of any kind can be added to the image. (exemption given to diptychs, and triptychs and cell/mobile photos with borders. )
- Resolution: Photo can be any resolution, as long as it matches the pixel dimensions stated under Horizontal and Vertical image dimensions.
- File Name: Specific file names are no longer required