Applications are open for First Pages Prize supports 2021. The First Pages Prize supports un-agented writers worldwide with an annual prize for the first 5 pages of a longer work of fiction or creative nonfiction. Five prizes are awarded annually to emerging writers and the competition is for writers who are NOT currently represented by a literary agent.
The winners of the First Pages Prize receive
- A cash award (1st – $2,000, 2nd – $1,250, 3rd – $750, 4th – $500, 5th – $500 in US dollars)
- Partial developmental edit to support the completion of their full manuscript
- Consultation with an agent via Zoom for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners
Eligibility – Entrants
- Writers from anywhere in the world may enter, if eligible.
- Entrant must be individuals, not a company or organizations. Similarly, entrants must be over 18 years of age at the time of entering their work.
- Entrant must be currently unagented. If you are represented by or signed with an agent, you are NOT eligible to enter.
- Entrants may submit more than one entry. Each entry needs to be submitted as a separate entry and you need to pay the fee for each entry.
- Also, entrants must submit the work using their name, not a pen name. A pen name may be used when announcing their win if requested.
- By entering, entrants accept that their email address is added to the mailing list of the First Pages Prize.
- By entering, winners accept that quotes from their entry and their photo and bio details may be used to promote the First Pages Prize.
Eligibility – Entries
- Entries are blinded. The entrant’s name MUST NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript of the entry to ensure judging anonymity. The entrant’s full name MUST NOT be part of the story title. Any entry failing to comply with this rule is immediately disqualified without refund of the entry fee.
- Must be your unpublished, original work and should be written in English.
- Must not infringe upon the copyright of any person or entity.
- No entry will be returned or kept after the winners have been announced.
- Entries will be acknowledged upon completion of submission.
- Copyright remains with the author.
- Entries (or drafts of entries) that previously entered the First Pages Prize and did not place 1st, 2nd or 3rd or 4th are eligible to enter.
All submissions must be made through the Submittable platform. https://firstpagesprize.submittable.com/submit