The Galley Beggar Press Short Story Prize 2021/22. It is an annual short story competition for both published and unpublished writers, writing original fiction in English, and from anywhere in the world.
Stories must be submitted in Word or PDF form, with the story title and contact details (your name and email address) supplied on the first page of the document. Please do not include your name or the story title on any of the subsequent pages. This is then logged into a database and stored separately before being removed from the entry – to enable the contest to judge your story anonymously.
- The Galley Beggar Press Short Story Prize offers a prize to the winner of £2000.
- Shortlisted writers each receive a cash prize of £200.
- Longlisted writers receive £50 in book vouchers, plus a 4-book subscription to Galley Beggar Press.
- The competition is open to both unpublished and published writers, and from anywhere in the world.
- The cost of entry per submission is £10.00. All proceeds will be used in the administration of the award and to support Galley Beggar Press (a publisher set up with the specific remit of sponsoring ambitious writing) in its future publications and support of groundbreaking writers.
- Unless you are a low-earner and have been allocated a free entry; entrants must pay the £10.00 entry per submission in order to be eligible.
- Only submissions received and paid for by midnight on 10 October 2021 (UK time) will be considered.
- Entries that are not paid for or are submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Both published and unpublished authors are welcome to enter, but stories that have been previously published (online or in print form) will not be eligible.
- The story must be the entrant’s own creation and not infringe upon the right or copyright of any person or entity. Also, entries must not exceed 6,000 words and the story must be written in English.
- Translated stories are welcomed but must be clearly marked ‘Translated’.
- There are no age restrictions.
- Online and email submissions should be in Word.doc or PDF.
- Longlisted and shortlisted entrants will be notified by email on the day of the longlist and shortlist announcements.
- Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted as well as no editorial feedback will be offered to entrants.
- Furthermore, the decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the judging process.
OYA Opportunities is in Telegram too. Catch us here