Applications for Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling are open. Moreover, the Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling is a collaboration between the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), the ONE Campaign, and the Elliott family, which honors up-and-coming journalists in Africa who strive to strengthen people’s voices and illuminate the transformational change taking place on the continent.
This prestigious annual award honors an emerging journalist in Africa who strives to strengthen people’s voices and illuminate the transformational change taking place on the continent. The winners will get the following prizes
- The two 2021 winners will also receive a $5,000 cash prize.
- The winners will also be invited to take part in a virtual internship with prestigious media outlets where they will have access to editorial meetings and media experts and share their own experiences with top journalists.
- The contest is open to English-speaking journalists working in Africa for print, broadcast, and online news media. Applicants must have no more than 10 years of journalism experience.
- Applicants must submit one published piece that exemplifies Africa through thoughtful reporting and excellent storytelling. ICFJ is looking for impactful investigative or explanatory pieces, especially those that illuminate transformational change in Africa.
- A copy of the published story or broadcast clip must be submitted in English. Works in other languages must include English translations. Moreover, it welcomes submissions from print, broadcast, or digital journalists. Multimedia submissions may include web, audio, video, visual or mixed media.
- The submitted story must be published between December 1, 2019, and December 1, 2020.
Applications for the 2021 cycle are now open. The application deadline is Sunday, January 17, 2021, at 11:59 EST. You can apply here.