Launched in 2017, the Young Champions of the Earth Prize is a global initiative to identify, celebrate as well as support talented individuals. Managed by UN Environment in partnership with Covestro, Young Champions is inspired by the long-running Champions of the Earth Award, which remains the United Nations highest environmental honour. Moreover, Seven Young Champions—selected from every global region—will be chosen annually to receive seed funding, tailored mentorship, publicity as well as access to powerful networks.
In 2019, seven Young Champions of the Earth will be selected from each global region: one from each of Africa, Europe, Latin America as well as the Caribbean, North America, West Asia, and two from Asia and the Pacific. Furthermore, each winner will receive the following:
- US$15,000 in seed funding;
- Also, US$ 9,000 in funding to communicate and capture applicants idea and broadcast the stories of hope and change that they’re catalyzing on the ground.
- Attendance at a high-level UN meeting;
- Also, an introduction to dignitaries at the Champions of the Earth Award Ceremony;
- Publicity and recognition through interviews and online and global media;
- Also, access to a community of Covestro experts offering insights and mentoring; and
- Participation in an entrepreneurial training program.
- The 2019 selection process has three rounds. The open call for applications will run from mid-January to the 31 March 2019. Additionally, each applicant will be required to submit responses to a series of questions and upload a referee’s letter of endorsement.
- Regional Finalists—drawn from every world region— will be short-listed by UN experts and requested to submit short videos pitching their big ideas.
- In the final stage, a Global Jury will review the Finalists’ big ideas and choose seven Young Champions of the Earth. The winners will be invited to attend the Champions of the Earth Award Ceremony in late 2019, at which point, their names will be publicly announced.