Nominations for UNHCR’s Nansen Refugee Award 2021 are open. Each year, UNHCR searches for extraordinary persons who go beyond the call of duty in supporting refugees, internally displaced and stateless people. Nominate now if you know of an inspirational individual or group making a difference.
The UNHCR’s Nansen Refugee Award has the following prizes
- The laureate receives USD 150,000 to invest in their humanitarian work.
- Additionally, four regional winners from each global region are selected and honored with a certificate.
- Any individual, group of people or organization that has displayed extraordinary humanitarian work on behalf of refugees, displaced or stateless peoples is eligible to be nominated.
- Former and current UNHCR staff, including United Nations Volunteers (UNVs) working for UNHCR offices, are ineligible.
- Furthermore, self-nominations are strongly discouraged. This includes individuals and organizations nominating themselves.
- The deed for which the person/ entity is nominated should take place outside the framework of normal professional duties and go beyond the call of duty.
- It should demonstrate courage and also should raise awareness for displaced people.
- It should reflect the values of UNHCR.
The Nansen Refugee Award Selection Committee has the following members
- A member designated by the Norwegian Government
- A member designated by the Swiss Government
- The Secretary General of the Council of Europe
- Executive Director of the International Council of Voluntary Agencies
- The Chairperson of Executive Committee
- A guest member
Nominations can be submitted in any of the official languages of the United Nations (English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, and Chinese). Please contact the Nansen secretariat for a different language version template: [email protected]