Call for entries for Wiki Loves Africa Photo Contest 2020
Wiki Loves Africa is an annual contest where anyone across Africa can contribute media that relates to that year’s theme to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation. Wiki Loves Africa encourages participants to contribute to media (photographs, video, and audio) that illustrate the specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes. Each year’s theme is chosen by the community to be a universal, visually-rich and culturally-specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
The theme for the 2020 Contest is Africa on the Move or Transport. The theme of Africa on the Move encourages the submission of visual representations of movement, migration or transportation, whether local or regional, by path, road, sea, or air, self-propelled, or by an animal, natural or mechanical means. Submissions could also capture the historical or contemporary structures that have been created to facilitate movement or the transportation of people, goods, or animals.
There are several prizes up for grabs, both nationally and internationally. For national prizes, please see what events are being held locally in your country. At the international level, there are 3 main prizes for Wiki Loves Africa; as with last year, there will be two additional prize categories for photos and media.
The international prizes are:
- 1st prize: US$1000
- 2nd prize: US$800
- 3rd prize: US$500
- Culturally specific or traditional representations of transport or structures that facilitate transportation: US$500
- The prize for best quality video (audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account): $500
- Each winner will also receive a pack of goodies; (proposed: a hat “I edit Wikipedia from Africa”, a branded battery, stickers)
Rules and Regulations
- All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. They can be uploaded by you or uploaded during a registered mass upload session. Furthermore, your image must have your name or nom de plume on the uploaded file.
- Entries will only be accepted if uploaded between the 15th of February to 31st March 2020. You can enter media that was taken at any time, even historical photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs or they are in the public domain), but they must be uploaded during those dates.
- Images with watermarks or embedded signatures will not be eligible. Moreover, all entries submitted to the contest will automatically be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0) (or those in the public domain). Read more about the cc-by-sa license here.
- All eligible pictures will be categorized under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2020, this will be automatically assigned during the upload process. (Feel free to add other relevant categories and descriptions to make the images more usable on the projects.)
- Participants must be registered on Wikimedia Commons and be contactable. Please enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons so we can contact you should your image be chosen for a prize.
- To be considered for the video prize, the file must be uploaded in the video format (.ogg, .ogv, or .webm) that is required for Wikimedia Commons. Furthermore, please note the audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account for your file to be eligible for a prize.
Visit this link for more information.